Re: bug in replace-string: widget loses characters

On Oct 9,  3:34pm, Peter Stephenson wrote:
}
} The one side effect is that $UNDO_CHANGE_NO is different each time it's
} read.  I could fix that if anyone cared, but if it helped you could sort
} of look on it as a feature: you are guaranteed that all recorded change
} points are unique and monotonically increasing whether or not the line
} itself was changed.

I think this is OK, but I suppose there might be a case where one wanted
to be able to detect whether any changes had occurred between state X
and state Y, e.g. previously

	local current_undo=$UNDO_CHANGE_NO
	# ... some stuff potentially happens ...
	if (( current_undo == UNDO_CHANGE_NO ))
	then
	  # nothing happened?
	fi

Is there another way to detect this?  It's probably not a common thing
to care about so perhaps not worth a lot of effort.