Re: Invocation of zshenv

Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013, 13:02:47 schrieb Peter Stephenson:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:14:45 +0100

> > I have some PATH, EDITOR and PYTHONPATH set in my .zshenv. As far as
> > I understand it zshenv should be invoced on every kind of shell but
> > when I login using SSH it is not being sourced.
> >
> > What is the file to put such things that should be available in
> > _every_ shell session?
>
> .zshenv is the file to use.  If it's not being sourced on some
> occasions, something somewhere is changing the configuration.  The only
> ways of doing this I can think of are for something in /etc/zshenv to
> stop it by setting the option NO_RCS, or for the environment variable
> ZDOTDIR to point to a different directory, or for some emulation mode
> such as ksh that doesn't use it to be in effect.

ZDOTDIR and NO_RCS are not set, neither as environment variable nor it's
mentioned in the config.

But actually, I forgot to mention I'm using the grml-zsh-config on Arch.

.zshenv is sourced on normal login shells.

Ivan mentioned a problem regarding /etc/profile. My profile contains:

# Set our default path
PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
export PATH

So it sets and exports the PATH but does not take a already set PATH variable
into account. If .zshenv is sourced before /etc/profile that would explain it.
But why only on SSH shells not on usual shells?

Thanks,

Florian