Re: Local/global history with pattern isearch

On 06/03/14 17:53, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Mar 4, 12:44pm, Jan Larres wrote:
> }
> } Okay, the good news first: I found the culprit! The issue was caused by
> } the zsh-syntax-highlighting script
>
> Hmm.  I don't use that, but looking at it, it should be the case that if
> you define your widget first then it will skip trying to redefine it,
> and if you define yours second then yours will replace the highlighting
> one.  (This is all because your widget has the same name as a builtin.)
>
> That explains why
> } ... a quick swapping of order doesn't seem to make any
> } difference.

This got me wondering why it wasn't working even though the search
widget got left alone, and so I went trying to figure out which widget
*was* the issue. And, possibly to no-one's surprise, that widget turned
out to be set-local-history. If I redefine that widget so it won't get
redefined again by zsh-syntax-highlighting then the local/global history
functionality works perfectly together with pattern-search. Apparently
the calling of an additional function after that widget confuses it
somehow.

So for those playing along at home this is what I currently have in my
.zshrc:

set-local-history() { zle .set-local-history }
zle -N set-local-history
zle-line-init()  { NUMERIC=1 zle set-local-history }
zle -N zle-line-init
zle-isearch-update() { NUMERIC=0 zle set-local-history }
zle -N zle-isearch-update
zle-isearch-exit()  { NUMERIC=1 zle set-local-history }
zle -N zle-isearch-exit

history-incremental-pattern-search-backward() {
    NUMERIC=0 zle set-local-history
    zle .history-incremental-pattern-search-backward "$@"
}
zle -N history-incremental-pattern-search-backward
bindkey '^r' history-incremental-pattern-search-backward
history-incremental-pattern-search-forward() {
    NUMERIC=0 zle set-local-history
    zle .history-incremental-pattern-search-forward "$@"
}
zle -N history-incremental-pattern-search-forward
bindkey '^s' history-incremental-pattern-search-forward

Thanks for the help, Bart!

-Jan