Re: setopt interactivecomments

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 10:35am, shawn wilson wrote:
> }
> } Why is this feature disabled by default - it seems like enabling and
> } allowing it to be disabled (since the behavior works in other shells)
> } would be the correct way to do things?
>
> It's disabled because it always has been, and therefore enabling it might
> break longstanding usage.
>
> It has always been disabled because zsh originated as a way to bring
> Bourne shell syntax to students who had been introduced to BSD Unix
> via [t]csh, and csh does not have interactive comments.  A lot of the
> default behaviors and interactive design of zsh derive from Paul Falstad
> (the original author) making subjective judgements about what were the
> best features of csh and sh, rather than about what features were the
> most common in other sh clones.

So if I want to know what ideas are based on, I should refer to how
FBSD tcsh and sh behave and not how Bash on Linux functions? Or as far
as this type of thing is concerned, it would stay either way because
it was an original implementation decision? (obviously, because of the
former, the later becomes moot, but I'm curious what the current
mindset of development is)