Re: zsh-newuser-install

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:43:21 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Vaeth <martin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At least, some zshrc could be shipped which enables lots
> of these features so that e.g. on a live cd where you "must"
> live with the defaults you get more luxury (distribution
> maintainers are not always experts in zsh, especially
> e.g. those who produce live cds, so it is better
> to give them good examples).

There are, in fact, startup files in the distribution, but they
don't get much attention.  Currently they're intended more as examples
of sorts of things you might want to do than to be installed directly.

Obviously, it would be perfectly possible to distribute ones that are
intended for direct use, with suitably copious comments, and flag up in
the release notes that we recommend distributions to make these
available.  This will need a volunteer to take control (they can
have git access or I'm happy to commit changes myself).

We could easily customise zsh-newuser-install to the extent of looking
for templates in files installed centrally with zsh and asking whether
the user wants them copied --- that doesn't require any co-operation
from outside.

pws