Re: cat as a builtin command

Am 29.08.2014 um 03:40 schrieb Izumi Natsuka:

Hello, I'm going to write a shell function that provides a basic functionality(print the content of a file or stdin) of cat[0], in order to avoid forking too many process when I call it in a loop[1].

I try to avoid cat alltogether, as many uses belong to the "Useless use of cat" category, like this one:

$ cat archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.iso | wc -c
39

Could also be "wc -c archlinux-2012.09.07-dual.iso".

Results in mostly cat-free shell scripts (I like dog(s) more, anyway ;-) )

HTH...

    Dirk
--

Dirk Heinrichs, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach