Re: rsync --progress stops completion

On 09/17/2014 02:51 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> (Wow, gmane sent Yuri's messaeg through with no To/Cc headers.)

[I bcc'ed you]

> Whoever most recently updated the _arguments call in _rsync asserted that
> -P and --progress are mutually exclusive.  That's intended to prevent the
> --progress option from being offered again if you already used -P, I'm
> sure, but it also means that the comparguments builtin treats them as
> truly mutually exclusive, i.e., the command is wrong if both appear.
>
> Currently _rsync also excludes -P when either of --progress or --partial
> already appears, which is probably a mistake.

However, I'm wondering if we can make completion continue.

It happens to me from time to time, though I'm usually not motivated
enough to report it, that a command which is perfectly fine does not
perform file completion anymore, which is probably *the* most important
completer I care about.

Is there a way to somehow get this as a general behavior, or it's
dependent on the specific command completion? I'd rather have an error
spew from the command itself, than trying to figure out that I specified
a wrong flag and thus I cannot complete anymore.

It happens to me enough that I have bound key to force file completion:

bindkey -M emacs "^x^f" complete-files

I "shouldn't" need it though, in theory.