Re: rsync --progress stops completion

On 09/22/2014 12:07 AM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Sep 21, 10:37pm, Yuri D'Elia wrote:
> }
> } And as I say it, an obvious tweak: only enable the fallback if we're
> } attempting to complete a new word. This prevents the fallback to be
> } triggered if we're attempting to complete a bad argument/file name.
>
> I don't think that's necessary; the fallback will simply fail as well
> if the option or file name is actually bad, and if you require that
> the word be empty you can't alternate tabbing and typing to resolve
> any ambiguous matches.
>
> But if all you care is listing or to enter menu selection, that's fine.

I see: I would be prevented to complete a valid option if the main
completer is in a bad state due to a previous one, for example. Hmm.

I'll try a couple of alternatives and see what plays better with broken
completions (whenever I run into those).

It remains to be seen if this is any better than just using the _files
completer. My guess is that it would generally be, though it might break
too easily for programs that have positional arguments.