Re: zsh 5.0.7

On 10/11/2014 03:01 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
On Oct 11,  2:46pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} Ok, so what's the approved fix? In this particular install I have no
} need to keep anything around that's not current, and of course I want
} all roads to lead to 5.0.7. Should I just fiddle with the pointers?

You have several choices.

Firstly, you need to see if chsh will let you set your login shell to
/usr/local/bin/zsh.  If it won't, you can either --
2. try editing the file /etc/shells to add /usr/local/bin/zsh and then
    run chsh again, or

The horror: I got the dread: "PAM: Authentication failure". Tried to edit /etc/shells, no luck, tried to edit /etc/passwd and ended up being unable to log in at all.  Restored a backup.

1. find out which path actually is your login shell and link that path
    to /usr/local/bin/zsh, or (if that would fluster your upgrades)
I ended up changing the 'zsh*' links in '/etc/alternatives/' from '/bin/zsh5' to '/usr/local/bin/zsh'
and that seems to be working fine.

BTW, doing all of this as root.
3. set up your login shell init to "exec /usr/local/bin/zsh" in the
    appropriate circumstances.

See FAQ "I don't have root access: how do I make zsh my login shell?"
for discussion of that last.

Once you get zsh going as your login shell, you need to change the
order of directories in the $path array to put /usr/local/bin near
the front.  If you can't do that for some other reason, you're back
to option (1) above.
I read something once that said '/usr/local/bin' should be at the end of the path. It explained how your system was in mortal peril otherwise. Nevermind, I always thought it should come
first myself.
You can also try to use your package manager to find out what installed
/usr/bin/zsh{,5} and remove that package.  Once you have done so, you
can rerun configure in your zsh build to set --exec-prefix=/usr and
then rebuild and install, but it'd probably be wiser to get it running
out of /usr/local if you can.
I see what you mean about not overwriting any packaged files, they are all different. I guess that means I should now be able to purge zsh and Debian will just remove it's stuff, leaving what I just installed alone. But I'll make sure what I have now is stable, before I tinker
anymore.

Thanks Bart.