Re: combine/merge .history?

On 10/13/2014 02:33 PM, Bart Schaefer wrote:
Sorry, I thought you were giving examples of file contents, not examples
of the output of the "history" command.  I didn't recognize it because I
never use SHARE_HISTORY and forgot that "foreign" history entries get
marked with a "*".
My mistake Bart, I should have used the same method for showing both. Now that I 'cat' both
the new and old .histfiles, they format exactly the same.
So ... if the format of entries *in the two files* looks similar, you
should be OK to combine them.  If both of them have the extended format
(timestamp:elapsed;command) then you should be able to merge them and
sort the result by timestamp without any major problems.

Just beware of multi-line entries, e.g., a plain "sort -n" will garble
those badly.
OK, I"m good to go.