combining .histfiles

Bart,

.histfiles files merged fine, all good, except that somewhere along the line I managed to do this:

    . ~/.histfile

and it merrily started executing everything in my history. Nothing would stop it until I jumped under my desk and pulled out the computer's plug. Is this safe? It didn't occur to me that the history file could be executed, should it be? Anyway, thankfully the oldest commands in .histfile were slow copyings that did no harm, so I'm undamaged, but I hafta wonder .... And how does one stop this kind of thing once it gets going short of pulling out the plug?