Re: git along

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:09:05 -0800
Ray Andrews <rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The 'git' manual being longer than War and Peace, let me ask
> some simple questions:
>
>        git clone git:where-its-coming-from where-its-going-to
>
> ... simple. If I rerun it with the same target dir, will it just
> update, or will it do the full monty all over again? Would any
> files I've added be preserved, or nuked?

Just change into where-its-going-to and

git pull

or if you're liable to have made changes to the repository yourself since you last updated

git pull --rebase

which puts your changes together with the remote ones together in a neater
fashion.

> Can we:
>
>      git just-show-me-whats-changed ... ?
>
> ... or is life just not meant to be so painless?

Do you mean what you just imported in the last pull?

git log ORIG_HEAD..

Add the option -p if you want to see changes within files as a patch.

(As you're about to see, any sufficiently complicated git post
instantly has half a dozen git experts falling over themselves to point
out the error of your ways.)

> Is there a recommended beginner's guide to git?

http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

pws