Re: triviality with prompts

# rayandrews@xxxxxxxxxxx / 2014-12-03 08:20:43 -0800:
> On 12/02/2014 08:38 PM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> > Peruse the "QUOTING" section in zshmisc(1). Surrounding a string with
> > single quotes ('foo') is not the same as surrounding a string with
> > single quotes preceded by a dollar sign ($'foo'). vq
>
> Thanks, that's a nice summary.  It's especially nice of it to mention
> the $'foo' gotcha, which is ignored in other docs.  Just when I
> thought I knew what a single quote was :( But the zshbuiltins page,
> under 'print' doesn't go into any detail about this $'foo' form.
> Never mind, the prompt string is the only place I've seen it so far
> and I'm forewarned now for the next time I see it.

well, $'' is apparently different syntax from '', and it's dangerous to
assume that two different syntaxes have the same semantics.

YMMV, but when i'm working on a script, the biggest slice of the time
spent with the various zsh* man pages is in zshmisc(1) and zshexpn(1).
you might also get some new insight from giving them a read or two.

--
roman