Re: utf-8

On Dec 18, 10:34pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} Yes. But where I loose the scent is in thinking about, specifically,
} Cyrillic. Cyrillic does not have a 'real' 'n' character. They have
} two 'backwards' capital ens that are vowels, and the sound 'en' is
} represented by 'our' 'H'. So, since their keyboard would be devoted
} to their own alphabet (better than ours, BTW), where would the 'n'
} character be so as to type '\n' ... there *is* no 'n' character! Would
} they use '\H' ('H' being the Cyrillic letter representing the sound
} 'en'?

OK, now we really are way off topic.

What appears on the keyboard has almost nothing to do with the shell and
barely anything to do with the character set used to represent letters,
numbers, etc. internally.

} But I'm sure the Russians can print newlines somehow and I can't
} believe they have an 'n' sitting there for just that purpose. Do they
} enter the needed value in hex? Or does zsh not worry about it, and the
} Russians have to bind a key? If so, then yes, it's off topic.

Indeed zsh does not worry about this, and the Russians have to figure
out for themselves how to enter characters that don't appear on their
keyboard.

I haven't used a Russian keyboard but I have used a Japanese one and in
fact it DID have an 'n' sitting there for just that purpose.  The same
way your keyboard has a % sign sitting there above the 5, and so on.
Just hold down the "shift to English" key and type.  In the case of
keyboards that have no such shift key, there is language front-end
software that interprets multiple keystrokes and converts that to one
of the the "missing" characters before anything gets sent through
the terminal to the shell.