Re: surprise with echo

Kurtis Rader wrote:

> It is possible, even likely, I'm missing the point of the RC_EXPAND_PARAM
> emulation option since I've never used the Plan 9 rc shell before today. If

I've never regarded the rc_expand_param and rc_quotes options as being
there to emulate rc. They are merely inspired by rc.

Both are useful features and are worth enabling in an interactive
configuration but don't expect your rc scripts to even come close to
working in zsh. Note in particular that in rc, ^ is a special operator
for joining strings. rc_expand_param doesn't enable support for that.

Incidentally, I have actually used rc for a while because it was the
default shell on the CS department systems at the university I went to.
In terms of syntax and design, it is much better than sh but also about
as functional as sh from an interactive perspective.

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Only by turning off the option, or by doing e.g. ${@:-''} so that the
> > expansion is the empty string rather than the empty array.

$^^@ will also do the job of disabling the option.

Oliver