Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: tab completion sort by modification time
- X-seq: zsh-users 19724
- From: Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@xxxxxxxxx>, zsh-users@xxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: tab completion sort by modification time
- Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 20:11:00 +0000
- In-reply-to: <CABpbYafixR-PGF9TpOpUzpAWNFauL2b6Kagq7Ub=Pxir5Rt9aw@mail.gmail.com>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-id: Zsh Users List <zsh-users.zsh.org>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <CABpbYafixR-PGF9TpOpUzpAWNFauL2b6Kagq7Ub=Pxir5Rt9aw@mail.gmail.com>
On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:33:49 -0500
kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Long time bash user here. Looking to see if zsh can solve my
> particular problem. If it does, I'd like to switch to it.
> Say a directory contains a lot of files and say I am only interested
> in the files that were recently edited/created. When doing a tab
> completion inside this directory, I would like the files to be listed
> in the order of modification time (similar to ls -rt). This way the
> latest files show up at the end and I can easily copy/paste their
> names using mouse onto the command line.
> Is zsh tab completion system comprehensive enough to do something like this?
I'm assuming as a bash user you're not subscribed to zsh-users...
If you want this behaviour globally, I think it's as simple as the
following piece of configuration:
zstyle ':completion:*' file-sort modification
If you want more control, reading the zshcompsys manual page should give
you ideas of how to modify that first argument --- which is a pattern
matching the context in which a completion occurs --- should give you
some ideas how to do so.
It's also relatively straightforward (i.e someone here can work out
how to do it in a few minutes after you've scratched your head for
half an hour:-)) to add a new key binding that has this file completion
Messages sorted by: