Re: zparseopts help

On Jan 23, 10:39am, TJ Luoma wrote:
}
} I took a look through the `man` entry, but I don't know what it is about
} my brain, but I can read and re-read man pages and still fail to understand
} what it is saying. I do much better with examples.

Not uncommon ... if we could find some volunteers to write more examples
for the manual, that would be nice.

} zparseopts -D -E -A MyVariableNameHere -- a b -orange -grape -apple
}
} Questions:
}
} 1. Is there a way to combine the -a and --apple statements into one?

Yes, that's what zparseopts -M is for.  With -M, "-apple=a" means to
store anything you find for "--apple" in the location for "-a" instead.

 zparseopts -M -D -E -A MyVariableNameHere -- a b -orange -grape -apple=a

} 2. Are a series of 'if' statements the best way to handle these sorts of
} options?

If you're using "-A MyVariableNameHere" then you should be able to do

    # Cycle through the keys of the associative array
    for myOption in "${(k@)MyVariableNameHere}"
    do
      case "$myOption" in
      esac
    done

} ps - if anyone knows of a good place for zparseopts examples, please let me
} know. Google was not very much help.

The majority of uses of zparseopts are to interpret the options of some
*other* command, do some manipuation on them, and then construct a call
to that other command.  I.e., for writing a wrapper function around some
other complicated command.  So you won't find very many good examples of
doing something with everything that zparseopts parsed.

The only comprehensive example in the zsh distribution is the "zargs"
function, but it uses "-a array" instead of "-A hash" so the handling
of the parsed options might be too confusing for an introduction.

I wish I had a better suggestion.