Re: ANSI bg colour outside of prompt area

On Feb 23,  8:51am, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} BTW, there seems to be a bit of fuzz in the term 'background' color.
} Sometimes it seems to mean just the color behind any typed text, other
} times it refers to the background of the whole screen. Are there more
} unambiguous terms?

As far as I know it always refes to the background of some text, but text
includes "invisible" things like tabs and spaces, and clearing the screen
writes spaces to every possible character location.

Put another way, I expect that most terminal emulators treat the whole
screen as a grid of character positions and color it by assigning to the
background of every cell.  There is no other background.