Re: [Aptitude-devel] how to find orphan/obsolete packages if there are any in my Debian installation ?

at bottom :-

On 3/15/15, Axel Beckert <abe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi shirish,
>
> shirish शिरीष wrote:
>> For a long time I was using the following :-
>>
>> [$] alias apto
>> apto='aptitude search ~o'
>>
>> I used to run apto and it would tell me if there are any obsolete or
>> orphan packages left in my Debian installation/apt archive.
>>
>> Recently, however from sometime back I have been running into the
>> following :-
>>
>> [$] 'aptitude search ~o'
>> zsh: command not found: aptitude search ~o
>>
>> So, it either seems that the command no longer works or zsh has some
>> trouble processing the command. If it's the latter then will look/talk
>> to zsh developers to have more, if it's the former however, please
>> tell/share how can I look for a listing of obsolete/orphan packages.
>
> It's clearly on the zsh side. So please remove the aptitude-devel list
> from the Cc after this mail. (zsh-users@xxxxxxx may be the proper
> mailing list for this issue, but I hope that we can solve your issue
> within one or two mails already.)
>
> Being also one of Debian's zsh maintainers, I tried the following:
>
> alias apto='aptitude search ~o'
>
> With this, the "apto" alias fails for me as follows (and actually as
> expected from my point of view):
>
> ~ → alias apto='aptitude search ~o'
> ~ → apto
> zsh: no such user or named directory: o
> ~ →
>
> But this works fine for me:
>
> ~ → alias apto='aptitude search \~o'
> ~ → apto
> i A apt-dpkg-ref   - APT, Dpkg Quick Reference sheet
> i A asr-manpages   - alt.sysadmin.recovery manual pages
> […]
>
> I'm using zsh 5.0.7-5 as in Debian Jessie currently.
>
> Which zsh version did you use? Do you remember for which zsh version
> it worked for you the last time?
>
> This behaviour may also be influenced by the following zshoptions(1):
>
> * cshnullglob
> * nullglob
> * nomatch
>
> 		Regards, Axel
> --
>  ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@xxxxxxxxxx>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
> : :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
> `. `'   |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
>   `-    |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE

Hi Axel,
I was using the default shell (bash) and using .bashrc . After using
the '\' character (denoting space I guess) it works perfectly. I am
using oh-my-zsh alongwith it.

One question though what does ip stand for ?

ip  pidgin-whatsapp                                                 -
WhatsApp plugin for Pidgin
ip  urw                                                             -
UrW is a unique graphical roguelike RPG taking place in ancient
Finland during the late Iron Age.

As far as my understanding goes, p in debian stands for packages not installed.

Both these packages are not in Debian and don't think they will ever
come into debian.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल