zsh (live version): setting globassign crashes completion

Today I installed the latest git commit and was greeted by:
    _main_complete:388: _lastcomp: assignment to invalid subscript range
after any completion I tried to do. Removing all configs (global and local) fixed the problem so I started enabling things one by one to see what is causing this. Bottom line:
a default setup with only:
    autoload -Uz compinit
    compinit
    setopt globassign
gives the above stated error. Sorry, I don't have time to further investigate, maybe someone else can look it up.