how to get zsh to work with a screen reader

Hi.  Well, this is going to be a peculiar question, but I hope someone
on here can give me a hint.  I use speakup which is in the staging area
of the kernel as a screen reader because I am "visually impaired".  Now
when I use zsh, I hear the entire line repeated when I do a completion,
or after I type a carriage return, I hear the line I just typed, even
though there is not an extra copy on the screen.  So what I was
wondering, is if zsh is writing the whole line out under many conditions
-- whereas bash is not doing that.  I am willing to change the code if
necessary, because I want to keep using zsh, but this problem is very
annoying.  When the lines are  repeated, it repeats the prompt and the
whole command line, so if I am doing a completion and its a long file
name, you can see where this could get old very fast.  So, any
suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?