missing curses.so

After rebuilding everything yesterday I thought everything was fine, but I see that I'm missing two modules: curses.so and pcre.so. $module_path is fine, but looking over my notes from the last time I set myself up to use git, I see that there is some reference to $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but that is not set at all. The ncurses library is installed at '/lib/i386-linux-gnu/'. I copied the missing .so files from the Debian versions and they seem to work, but how can I get them to be built?