Re: Interactive search on the command line?

Scott Frazer wrote on Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 08:15:57 -0500:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't know you were new to zsh if you didn't say so; the code looks
> > as good as anyone's.  The one thing I would suggest is to use the
> > ${BUFFER[(i)$char]} syntax in the 'for' loop, which should translate to
> > a strchr() or strstr() call at the C level.  (There's also the
> > ${(ps:$char:)BUFFER} syntax, but I'm not sure it gains you anything.)
> >

> I tried the (i) thing but the function stopped working.  I couldn't
> find what it was supposed to do in the zsh manual, only something
> about use as a flag for case-insensitive search which doesn't seem
> relevant.

A parenthesized "i" after an opening brace of parameter substitution
means "sort case-insensitively":

    % a=(Foo bar) ; print ${(oi)a}
    bar Foo

A parenthesized "i" after a subscript's bracket is a strstr() flag:

    % s=foobar x=b
    % print ${s[(i)$x]}
    4

The latter is documented in "Subscript Flags" in zshparam(1).  (It took
me a little while to find that; I checked zshexpn(1) first.)

So, you could do something like this (using the (b::) subscript flag as
well):

    % () {
        local haystack="$1"
        local needle="a"
        integer idx
        while (( idx = ${haystack[(ib:idx+1:)${needle}]} ))
              (( idx <= $#haystack ))
        do
          print -r - $haystack[idx,idx+$#needle-1]
        done
      } foobar
    %

> How do people debug these types of things?

You mean, how people look up flags?  Just type ": ${(" and then press
<TAB>.

> > Also, three minor points:
> >
> > - With recent zsh, WARN_CREATE_GLOBAL complains:
> >     (anon):1: scalar parameter ZSH_JUMP_TARGET_CHOICES created globally in
> > function (anon)
> >     (anon):2: scalar parameter ZSH_JUMP_TARGET_STYLE created globally in
> > function (anon)
> >   The fix is to declare these parameters either global ('typeset -g') or
> > 'local'.
> >
> > - You could use 'region_highlight+=("foo bar baz")' to append to the array.
> >
> > - You might use an 'always' block to restore $orig_region_highlight.
> >
> > P.S. Perhaps you could throw a LICENSE file into that repository?
> >

> Thanks for the feedback, I fixed all these things.

Thanks, LGTM.

Daniel