Re: Filtering argument lists (e.g. for grep)

07.12.2015, 14:51, "Dominik Vogt" <vogt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:23:54AM +0000, Peter Stephenson wrote:
>>  On Mon, 7 Dec 2015 11:56:22 +0100
>>  Dominik Vogt <vogt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  > Maybe grep is a bad example because this can be done with the
>>  > --exclude= option. But could zsh help filtering the names
>>  > generated by globbing in a more general way so that I could write
>>  >
>>  > $ <foo> *
>>  >
>>  > and have zsh automagically filter the results of the * (not
>>  > everywhere; only for commands that have this feature enabled) so
>>  > that the non-matching names are not passed to the command in the
>>  > first place?
>
>>  You could use a global alias, e.g.
>>
>>  alias -g '@*'='*~(*\~|\#*|ChangeLog)'
>
> Yes, but then I'd need an alias for every potential pattern, e.g.
> @*.s*, @**/*, @*.c.* etc.
>
>>  Ig you want that first * to be something more flexible you can use a
>>  glob qualifier.
>>
>>    gi () {
>>      [[ $REPLY != (*\~|\#*|ChangeLog) ]]
>>    }
>>
>>  and use
>>
>>    <foo> *(+gi)
>
> That sounds good, but is there a way to make that qualifier a
> default for certain commands? As an alternative, is it possible
> to access the command name from inside the qualifier function?
>
>   function gi () {
>     if <command should be filtered>; then
>       [[ $REPLY != (*\~|\#*|ChangeLog) ]]
>     fi
>   }

And there is another possibility: considering you want to do this thing with command `foo` you need to do the following:

1. Create an alias `foo='noglob foo'`.
2. Create a function `foo` like this:

        function foo()
        {
            local -a args=( "${@[@]}" )
            local -a new_args
            for (( I=2; I<= $#args; I++ )) ; do
                if [[ $args[I] != ${${args[I]}//[*?]} ]] ; then # If argument contains glob pattern
                    args[I]+="(+gi)"
                    new_args=( $~args[I] )
                    args[I,I]=( $new_args )
                    (( I += #new_args - 1 ))
                fi
            done
            command foo "${args[@]}"
        }

    . I.e. in place of leaving zsh to expand globs, expand it in your function “manually”, with necessary additions.