I/O edirection and dd

Hi,

with the pipe

    cat verylongfile | dd count=512 | file -

I want to get the type of file without reading it completly.

Unfortunately dd and cat are very chatty and print something like:

512+0 records in
512+0 records out
262144 bytes (262 kB) copied, 0.00396828 s, 66.1 MB/s
"Here comes the wanted output of the file command'
[2]    32419 broken pipe  cat tmp.blend |
       32420 done         dd count=512 |
       32421 done         file -

I want to get rid of all that - except for the printout of the
'file' command.

I tried several permutations and combinations of '{}", "2>&1" and
such but beside some additional syntax errors my success was very
....hrmmm....limited.

How can I acchieve what I want?

Best regards,
Meino