weird behaviour

I noticed recently that when I <tab> to complete zsh doubles the first letter of the command eg:
% cd T <tab> expands to TV - as expected and the expansion works as normal - unless there are more than one choice when it does this
% ccd /TV/TV/ARROW/  with the multiple dirs shown below as expected
This doesn't affect the command at all, and if I backspace I can't remove the first 'c', and if I then hit <enter> nothing happens ie as if the command 'c' isn't there.
I'm using 5.0.7 (Debian 8) in urvxt. I also tested in xterm and get the same result, strangely it doesn't happen on a console. I tried zsh -l in urxvt and get the same double letter result, but in xterm it is fine!  Running a bare "compinit" without any extras doesn't make any difference. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm baffled :-/

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.
                                                              H.L. Mencken