re weird behaviour

Thanks Bart for sending me in the right direction. It was my prompt, though not my PS1 but my RPS1. Once I moved that into my PS1 the problem went away.
But I don't see any reason for this, my RPS1 is pretty simple:
just gives me a red [error code]
Am I just not seeing something here?     ---------------------------dave

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.
                                                              H.L. Mencken