Re: 32 or 64

On 21/12/16 11:33 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
Ray Andrews wrote on Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:15:20 -0800:

Don't share the /bin directory between OS installs.  Doing so is liable
to leave one of the two OSes unbootable at some point.

That's just for my personal binaries, not the system /bins. I suppose the expected thing would be to have that stuff in /usr/local/bin but I like to keep all my personally made stuff in one partition separate from stuff made by the OS or by installing things officially, that way I just mount my partition on to the FS of any OS and I've got all my stuff exactly perfect right away and I basically never touch anything else except sometimes you hafta tinker with a few files in /etc. The only hitch has ever been the jump to 64 bit, which gives me a different set of my binaries and a different zsh. Maybe I haven't figured out the best protocol for that.

For future reference, there's `uname -m`.

That's best, because it won't change with any 64 bit kernel, I think.

But again: I would recommend just giving each OS its own partition.
That's a lot less likely to break.

Yup, I'm quite a partitioner, there's just the shared stuff to to with zsh and my few personal binaries. Nice to unpack everything from one suitcase and be right at home.