Re: bash conversion trouble.

On Feb 25,  9:05pm, Ray Andrews wrote:
}
} Sure, but I've always presumed that bash is 'like' sh, for obvious
} reasons so the likeness would come from the parent.  Why was there zsh
} and bash anyway?  It seems to me that the goals would have been so
} similar that two projects were a duplication of effort.

There was no zsh "project"; it was developed by a single student (Paul
Falstad) at Princeton for use by himself and other students on the
time-sharing system there.  There weren't outside contributors until a
few years later after the sources appeared on the comp.sources.unix
newsgroup.

The goals were not at all similar.  Bash was an effort to re-create the
Bourne shell under the GPL; zsh was an effort to introduce structured
shell language and scripting to csh users.