Re: Does mandir get saved some place?

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 8:01 AM, Jim <linux.tech.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With the fact that the configure script has the option "mandir=<some dir>"
> I assumed(bad thing to do) that there would be an easy way to discover
> where the man pages were saved.

Ah, well, the purpose of the configure option is so you can tell "make
install" to put the manual pages in a place that's already in your
$MANPATH.  It's not intended to change the shell to know about some
new location.

> would it be unreasonable to ask that a variable like "mandir" be set with
> the path to those man pages?

It wouldn't be unreasonable to ask, but I wouldn't promise an
affirmative response.