Re: edit-command-line breaks out of vared

Bart Schaefer wrote on Sun, 19 Aug 2018 12:03 -0700:
> > On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I expected quitting the editor to let me resume the vared session
>
> My first inclination here is to ask why you expected that ...
>
> >> instead it left me with the variable's value as a command line.
>
> ... because the name of the function is edit-command-line, after all.

I assumed edit-command-line would work inside vared, despite the
name, and that when $EDITOR finished it would return me to the
previous context.

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 6:18 AM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This works in my version of edit-command-line,
> >
> > +  [[ -z $PREBUFFER ]] && {
>
> Hrm, is PREBUFFER really guaranteed to be empty whenever vared is
> running?  I suppose so.

Is there a reason not to commit that?  Before we might've thought it was only
an optimisation but now it seems to enable behaviour that isn't possible with
the code in HEAD.  I don't see anything in my archives about reasons not to
commit that.

Cheers,

Daniel