Re: Subcommand dispatcher and alias factory

Bart Schaefer wrote on Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 16:01:25 -0700:
> the shell MUST first execute "git".  Unless all commands with
> subcommands were to share some standard exit status or error message
> that would allow the shell to discover that the reason for failure was
> that the subcommand is not found, the shell has no generic way to know
> why the primary command failed in order to try it again differently.
> You can program it separately for each command that has subcommands,
> as was shown in examples in a couple of the links you mentioned.

I don't understand what's so bad about subcommands.  What's different
between, say, «git ci -S foo» failing because 'git' doesn't know the
'ci' subcommand, and that command failing for any other business logic
reason (e.g., 'foo' being an invalid argument)?