using history file

Hi.
I'm using zsh since half a year and I'm
very content with this shell...

The only thing what I haven't figured out until
now is the history file. As far as I understood
I use the command fc to read and write the history
to/from a file. I'm using now fc -R ~/.myfile in
~/.zshrc to read the old history, it's working.
But I haven't succeeded with writing the history back.
I have put fc -W ~/.myfile resp. fc -A ~/.myfile in
~/.zlogout (and also ~/.logout and with traps),
but it didn't writes the history back.
At the moment I'm using the alias
exit='fc -ln >> ~/.zsh_history ; exit'

I have tried zsh-2.6-beta9 and ~10 on SCO.

Thanks for any help
/Joachim

P.S.: A good idea could be to include the fc stuff
in the example files in /StartupFiles/*