Re: behaviour with rsh

On Oct 17,  2:37pm, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Subject: Re: behaviour with rsh
> Zoltan Hidvegi (hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote on 17 October 1995 22:14:
>
>  >>
>  >> Zoltan wrote:
>  >> >I think this is not zsh specific.
>  >>
>  >> I think it is.  zsh ought to be able to hide a child in a way which allows
>  >> the rsh to exit.  Maybe other shells are broken too. But so what? Also I
>  >> think, as Carlos says, that it used to work.
>  >>
>  >> Running  rsh blaa "sh -c whatsit &"  is a horrible hack, and shouldn't be
>  >> necessary.
>  >
>  >I've just made zsh my login shell in the yp database, and tested
>  >this problem.
>  >
>  >rsh foo 'xterm -display bar:0 >&- 2>&- <&-'
>  >
>  >returned the prompt in almost all cases.  The only exception is when I rsh'd
>  >to an Ultrix machine, but only when the originating machine was not Linux.
>
> I tested from linux to a sun 4.1.2 and it doesn't return. From the sun
> to linux it works fine, both with hzoli10.3.

I too have recently run across this problem. I have run the following
command under csh (SunOS and SCO) and zsh 2.3.1 (SunOS) for quite a
while (years) but it doesn't work under zsh 2.6-beta10 (SunOS):

    rsh -n host "env FOO=$BAR /bin/somecmd </dev/null >& /dev/null &"

Under csh and zsh 2.3.1 it returned immediately. Under zsh 2.6-beta10 it
doesn't return until the program exits (this was from SunOS 4.1.3 to
SunOS 4.1.3).

Brian

--
Brian Dockter   (KC7JZL)         | Email: brian@xxxxxxx
Sr. Software Engineer            | Voice: 206-524-0014