Re: History file locking?

Bart wrote:
> I think this one falls in the category of "if you can do it with an
> external process, it doesn't belong in the shell".

I understand the principle. And maybe you're right.  But zsh doesn't
rely much on /bin/[ for example.  Defence to the charge of featuritis:
  o  Not very much code
  o  Merely providing public access to a feature motivated by internal need
  o  Internalising would often allow more reliable/easier lock release.
  o  Lockfiles are a natural adjunct to shell programming
  o  Resulting portability of lockfile-utilising user scripts

One could bundle a separate implementation of 'lockfile' with zsh, I
guess.  But that feels a bit extreme.  Just because zsh is maybe biased
toward the 'bloated' end of the shell market doesn't mean we need to
become reactionary neo-minimalists to compensate.  Who uses rc anyhow?

I dunno. Just thought I'd flag the idea, no more than that.

Anthony