Re: zsh-2.6-beta17 released

> I'd like to suggest that we go ahead and release 2.6-beta17 (with
> the two little patches) as 2.7, after at most a few days more
> testing and, if necessary, minor patching, and then go ahead with
> starting 2.8beta with the next change.
>
> Zoltan's point that what we have here is far better and far less
> buggy than the last released version is quite correct.  I have been
> using his versions for a long time on Sunos, OSF/1, and Nextstep,
> and have found his changes stable and generally free of problems, so
> there is little cause for worry there.  Some of the patches that he
> incorporated are quite useful and I am not sure why they didn't
> make it into the mainstream release, but it is good to see them
> there now.

Before a formal release is made, it might be a good idea to make a
release zsh-3.0-gamma1 and announce it to a much wider audience.  Make an
announcement in comp.unix.shell and try to attract some new testers.
This would probably catch a new round of bugs and portability problems.

This would also be a good time to transition more of the work to
the documentation.

rc