Re: glob [a-z]## bug in beta18

Roderick,

Roderick Schertler <roderick@xxxxxxxx>:
] Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx>:
] >> j:1% print -l 'setopt extended_glob' 'print -c [a-z]#' | zsh-2.6-beta18 -f
] >> bug.1  ok
] >
] > I cannot reproduce this.  What OS and which C compiler do you use?
]
] I should have realized that this bug was too severe to be universal.
] Sorry about that.  I saw that behavior on dgux 5.4.3.10 with gcc 2.5.8
] (the standard system compiler).  When I recompiled with debugging rather
] than optimization the problem disappeared, so by definition it must be a
] bug in the compiler.

I cannot speak to the problem at hand, and have not looked at the zsh
code in question, but ceteris paribus, this line of reasoning is faulty.

When a "problem disappears", that does not mean that another one,
elsewhere, doesn't move to take it's place. Example: heap corruption due
to bad pointer management with optimization on, but valid memory getting
trashed with optimization off/debugging on.

Eric De Mund <ead@xxxxxxxxx>
http://www.ixian.com/ixian/ead/

"It's harder to solve people's problems than it is to design really neat
products." --Stewart Alsop