HISTCHARS

Somebody remind me why this has become a lower-case variable, and why it is
not mirrored to/from the upper-case version?

Does anybody know what the comprehensive list of these seemingly arbitrary
incompatibilities is?  I'm getting really tired of tweaking and re-tweaking
my .zsh* files every time I find another of these stupid things.  We need a
complete upgrade guide of some sort.

zyrcon[27] echo $HISTCHARS
!=#
zyrcon[28] echo foo bar
foo bar
zyrcon[29] =foo=bar
zsh: foo not found
zyrcon[25] zsh-2.3.100
zyrcon<1> echo $HISTCHARS
!=#
zyrcon<2> echo foo bar
foo bar
zyrcon<3> =foo=bar
echo bar bar
bar bar
zyrcon<4> zsh-2.5.01
zyrcon<1> echo $HISTCHARS
!=#
zyrcon<2> echo foo bar
foo bar
zyrcon<3> =foo=bar
echo bar bar
bar bar
zyrcon<4>

--
Bart Schaefer                     Vice President, Technology, Z-Code Software
schaefer@xxxxxxxxxx                  Division of NCD Software Corporation