Re: HISTCHARS

> On May 23,  2:48pm, Richard Coleman wrote:
> } Subject: Re: HISTCHARS
> }
> } I think it makes more sense for it to be HISTCHARS, since this is consistent
> } with the case of HISTFILE and HISTSIZE.  I now believe this to be more
> } important than compatibility with base or csh.
>
> Why not just mirror histchars/HISTCHARS, as with cdpath/CDPATH et. al.?

It is desirable to minimize the number of special parameters sice it is
quite difficult to handle special parameters in some cases.  It can be
arranged that HISTCHARS will only work if zsh is not called as sh/ksh but
is it really necessary?  HISTCHARS did not even work originally since in
many places in the source ! was used explicitely instead of bangchar (but
it worked for hashchar I know).

Zoltan