-M options

About a year ago, we discussed the possibility of several builtins
having the capability to display the state of things in the form of
commands to set up that state.  I believe the consensus was
favourable.  A couple of builtins, compctl and alias, now have that
capability, in the form of their -L options.  -L can't be used for all
the builtins, because it already has a different meaning to typeset, so
I suggested that we use -M instead.

What does everyone now think of this idea?  I personally like it -- I
use compctl -L quite a lot.  Can anyone think of a better option letter
to use?  I'd like to know people's opinions on this matter.

A while ago I posted patches to implement this option in several
builtins, but most of them didn't get into the baseline.  Richard,
could you say why you didn't use them?  Was it simply a matter of
avoiding adding new features, in preparation for the 3.0 release?

Zoltan, would you add this feature to the baseline, if I were to post
updated patches?  (Some of the patches I posted will no longer apply,
due to metafication changes.)

-zefram