ulimit should limit the shell?

In other shells (bash, ksh93 and pdksh) ulimit affects the shell itself,
not only child processes.  I think zsh ulimit should behave similarily.
Even after ulimit is changed limit can still be used to set limits which
affect child processes only.

I enable coredumps by defaults in my .zshrc to catch rare zsh bugs but this
does not affect login shells so I have no coredumps when zsh crashes
(fortunately this does not seem to occur recently).

Zoltan