Re: Default compctls

On Jul 6,  8:10pm, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: Default compctls
}
} I think compctls belong to the user-level code.  Adding new default
} compctls just increase zsh size and it is quite useless as these are
} usually overriden by the user.

I can't imagine that this is all that significant in terms of size.
Anyway, surely you agree that `builtin' should be corrected from
`compctl -c' to `compctl -B'?

I'd actually be happy to go the other way and REMOVE all the default
compctls except for:

compctl -C -c
compctl -D -f
compctl -T

However, it seems silly to me to have defaults (and incorrect ones at
that) for some builtins, yet not supply the obvious defaults for others.

} Zsh is quite unusable without good startup files anyway.

I wouldn't say that.  I've used it without startup files quite a lot, for
reasons too baroque to bother explaining here.

} > compctl -c -		# BUG!  `-' has special meaning to `compctl'!
}
} I think -- should mean the end of completion flags as it already means that
} with extended completions.

There are several inconsistencies in zsh as to whether `--' means end
of flags, or whether a solitary `-' means end of flags.  I.e. zsh `echo`
seems to be unique among other shells and /bin/echo in that zsh strips
a solitary leading `-' out of the args to be echoed (no others do).
(Others that I tried don't strip `--' either, though.)

} > Is there any workaround for the bug noted above?
}
} No, but
}
} compctl -c exec -
}
} works.

If I do that and then utter `compctl -L` I get:

compctl -c - -

which does work in the way `compctl -L` implies that it should.  Good.

} Note that Misc/compctl-examples contains better
} compctl's for command, exec, moglob, -.  Look at the section near line 52.

Yes, but I was trying to restrict myself to "simple" compctls because
they should be relatively painless to build in -- a few bytes and one
or two function calls added to compctlsetup(), is all.

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: