Re: Remaining zsh3.0-pre2 bugs

On Jul 9,  3:32am, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: Re: Remaining zsh3.0-pre2 bugs
}
} Bart and Zefram discussing a loop in get_comp_string:
} > } >Anyway, cs decrements down to 8 because of the two \230 in qword; but
} > } >"echo 'a;b'" of course has 10 characters.
} > }
} > } Bingo.  That loop has special code for handling backslashes, but not
} > } quotes.  I think it needs to handle quotes too.
}
} There is nothing wrong with get_comp_string here.  It works well if there
} is just one line containing embeded newlines and quotes etc.  The problem
} starts when we are in a multi-line command structure.

Er, yeah, but that seems like an odd definition of "works".

} > But that doesn't work for completions with embedded newlines, even when
} > a successful completion is possible:
}
} It fails because zsh sees that the current word starts in the previous
} already entered line.

Where's that happening?  Not in get_comp_string() ...

} In that case zsh simply gives up the completion
} attempt, restores the original line and returns.

Why is that necessary?  Maybe it's necessary if the word *ends* in the
previous line for some reason, but ...

} Unfortunately the cursor
} position is not always restored correctly.  The patch below fixes that.

Hmm.  Your patch does a couple of things.  One, it removes the loop that
folds embedded newlines into semicolons; two, it attempts to save and
restore the cursor position.  There's one bogus compiler warning:

zle_tricky.c: In function `docomplete':
zle_tricky.c:500: warning: `ocs' might be used uninitialized in this function

I cleared this by initializing ocs = 0 in the declaration.

*** Src/zle_tricky.c.orig	1996/07/09 00:50:55 1996
--- Src/zle_tricky.c	1996/07/09 01:00:32 1996
***************
*** 497,503 ****
  docomplete(int lst)
  {
      char *s, *ol;
!     int olst = lst, chl = 0, ne = noerrs, ocs;

      /* If we are doing a menu-completion... */

--- 497,503 ----
  docomplete(int lst)
  {
      char *s, *ol;
!     int olst = lst, chl = 0, ne = noerrs, ocs = 0;

      /* If we are doing a menu-completion... */

***************

By the way, there are block-locals named ocs and ol used in various
places in docomplete(), which could lead to confusion.  I didn't try
to fix that, though.

Anyway, after the newlines-to-semicolons thing is removed, it doesn't
seem to make any difference whether (wb < 0 || we < 0 || cs < 0).  I
commented out that entire if(){} block, and was then able to complete
file names containing embedded newlines just fine.  So do you see any
problem with the following patch, which moves that block to after the
completion is attempted (thus fixing up failure cases)?

*** Src/zle_tricky.c.orig	Tue Jul  9 00:50:55 1996
--- Src/zle_tricky.c	Tue Jul  9 01:58:06 1996
***************
*** 573,592 ****
  	viinsbegin = ztrsub((char *) line + wb, (char *) line);
      /* If we added chline to the line buffer, reset the original contents. */
      if (ol) {
! 	cs -= chl;
  	wb -= chl;
  	we -= chl;
- 	if (wb < 0 || we < 0 || cs < 0) {
- 	    strcpy((char *) line, ol);
- 	    ll = strlen((char *) line);
- 	    cs = ocs;
- 	    unmetafy_line();
- 	    return;
- 	}
- 	ocs = cs;
  	cs = 0;
  	foredel(chl);
! 	cs = ocs;
      }
      freeheap();
      /* Save the lexer state, in case the completion code uses the lexer *
--- 573,584 ----
  	viinsbegin = ztrsub((char *) line + wb, (char *) line);
      /* If we added chline to the line buffer, reset the original contents. */
      if (ol) {
! 	int tcs = (cs -= chl);
  	wb -= chl;
  	we -= chl;
  	cs = 0;
  	foredel(chl);
! 	cs = tcs;
      }
      freeheap();
      /* Save the lexer state, in case the completion code uses the lexer *
***************
*** 740,745 ****
--- 732,742 ----
  	    /* Just do completion. */
  	    docompletion(s, lst, lincmd);
  	zsfree(s);
+     }
+     if (ol && !nmatches && (wb < 0 || we < 0 || cs < 0)) {
+ 	strcpy((char *) line, ol);
+ 	ll = strlen((char *) line);
+ 	cs = ocs;
      }
      /* Reset the lexer state, pop the heap. */
      lexrestore();

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: