Re: CONTRIBUTORS file again

> On Jul 9,  3:39am, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> } Subject: CONTRIBUTORS file again
> }
> } I recently asked your opininions about the CONTRIBUTORS file but noone
> } replied.  Does that means that noone is concerned about that and everyone
> } is satisfied with the present situation?
>
> Have we completely lost the changelogs etc. from 2.5 and before?  (I note
> the one in the zsh dist only goes back to where 2.6 started.)

zsh-2.5.03.tar.gz contains a ChangeLog from Richard describing changes
between July 20 and August 2, 1994.  There is no other ChangeLog in 2.5.
zsh-2.3.1 has a list of contributors and a changelog in the README but
there are not names in the changelog part.

> } I cannot rewrite CONTRIBUTORS alone because I do not know what happened in
> } the development of zsh before 1995.  If you lost my original mail about
> } that I can send it again.
>
> I know some of what happened going back to before Paul F. graduated ...
> to 1990 or so? ... but as I've mentioned, I was pretty much ignoring
> things from around 2.4.100 through about 2.6-beta9; and the machine
> on which I kept the really ancient sources died a while back.  Anyway,
> Paul and I were trading mail about zsh before there was a zsh-list,
> so it all sort of blurs together at this point.  And of course there
> were people at Princeton who were involved longer ago than I was.
>
> Do you have some idea what you're hoping to include?

Perhaps I'll include the current CONTRIBUTORS removing those added during
the 2.6 development (this just means that Wayne Davison and myself will be
removed but not Richard since it seems to me that zsh-2.5.02 and zsh-2.5.03
were put together by him) and rename it to something like CONTRIBUTORS-2.5.

Then I'll create a new file mentioning the major contributors to zsh-3.0
noting that other people who have submitted submitted patches are mentioned
in the ChangeLog.  This means that I do not have to think about what
happened before 2.5.

But these two files may be put together keeping the name CONTRIBUTORS,
perhaps that's even better.

It is partly just my personal curiousity about what happened before I
joined the development.  Peter's original RCS file of the FAQ would tell a
lot about that.  I still hape that he'll find that one day.  The header of
the FAQ included in 2.3.1 is FAQ,v 1.3 1993/02/04 so probably that file
started sometime near the end of 1992 (that's the time when I got my first
Internet account :-)).

Zoltan