Re: zsh-3.0-pre4 released

On Jul 27,  4:06am, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
} Subject: zsh-3.0-pre4 released
}
}
} Besides the many bugfixes in this release the biggest change is in this
} release is in trap handling.

Actually, I'd say the biggest change is "setopt nofoo" == "unsetopt foo".
Which I still think should have been left out until some post-3.0 version.
However, if it's staying, then this:

+ The following options are set if the shell is invoked as \fIsh\fP or
+ \fIksh\fP:
+ .BR NO_BAD_PATTERN ,
+ .BR NO_BANG_HIST ,
+ .BR NO_EQUALS ,
+ .BR NO_FUNCTION_ARGZERO ,
+ .BR GLOB_SUBST ,
+ .BR NO_HUP ,
+ .BR INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS ,
+ .BR KSH_ARRAYS ,
+ .BR NO_MULTIOS ,
+ .BR NO_NOMATCH ,
+ .BR RM_STAR_SILENT ,
+ .BR SH_FILE_EXPN ,
+ .BR SH_GLOB ,
+ .BR SH_OPTION_LETTERS ,

Should probably change to this:

+ The following options are set if the shell is invoked as \fIsh\fP or
+ \fIksh\fP:
+ .BR GLOB_SUBST ,
+ .BR INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS ,
+ .BR KSH_ARRAYS ,
+ .BR RM_STAR_SILENT ,
+ .BR SH_FILE_EXPN ,
+ .BR SH_GLOB ,
+ .BR SH_OPTION_LETTERS ,
+ .BR SH_WORD_SPLIT .
+ The following options are not set if the shell is invoked as \fIsh\fP
+ or \fIksh\fP:
+ .BR BAD_PATTERN ,
+ .BR BANG_HIST ,
+ .BR EQUALS ,
+ .BR FUNCTION_ARGZERO ,
+ .BR HUP ,
+ .BR MULTIOS ,
+ .BR NOMATCH .

I must say, having an option called BAD_PATTERN feels rather odd to me.
Since we have IGNORE_BRACES, either we should have IGNORE_BAD_PATTERN,
or else we should have just BRACES.  Or it should have been left alone.

And then there's HIST_NO_STORE (why not HIST_STORE?), HIST_IGNORE_DUPS,
HIST_IGNORE_SPACE and PUSHD_IGNORE_DUPS.  Why "fix" only the ones that
happen to begin with "NO"?  If we're making all the options have a
"positive" sense, then let's do it right, otherwise don't do it.

I think the hobgoblins have introduced a foolish consistency here.

--
Bart Schaefer                             Brass Lantern Enterprises
http://www.well.com/user/barts            http://www.nbn.com/people/lantern

New male in /home/schaefer: