Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
- X-seq: zsh-workers 1853
- From: Zoltan Hidvegi <hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-workers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Zsh workers list)
- Subject: Announcement draft
- Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 23:11:12 +0200 (MET DST)
- Organization: Dept. of Comp. Sci., Eotvos University, Budapest, Hungary
- Phone: (36 1)2669833 ext: 2667, home phone: (36 1) 2752368
I'd like to announce zsh-3.0-pre5 in a few newsgroups. Here is my proposed
announcement. Please tell me your opinions about that.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Zsh version 3.0 is going to be released soon!
The latest version is zsh-3.0-pre5. It is much more stable than the last
production release, zsh-2.5.0. More than a thousand bugs have been fixed
since the release of zsh-2.5.0 (although none counted) and several new
features were added. Everyone using zsh-2.5.0 or earlier is encouraged to
upgrade. Note that some incompatible changes have been made to zsh so
old scripts may have to be modified to run with zsh-3.0.
For those who do not know what it is:
The Z-shell, zsh is the most powerful freely available Unix command
interpreter. It most resembles the Korn shell (ksh). It includes
* a very powerful command-line editor which can even be used to edit
* 102 options for customizing its behavior
* very powerful filename globing which can do almost everything that
find can do
* fully programmable completion
* spelling correction
* powerful substitution features which can often be used instead of cut
* features to make C-shell (csh) users feel more at home and extra
features drawn from tcsh (another `custom' shell).
Additionally zsh is probably one of the most portable program available
for Unix. It uses GNU autoconf and it builds out of the box on most
Zsh can emulate the POSIX shell and the Korn shell quite well when it is
invoked as sh or ksh respectively. /bin/sh can be safely linked to zsh.
The latest release, the zsh FAQ and documentation is available from the
following anonymous ftp sites. The first is the official archive site.
The rest are mirror sites which are kept frequently up to date. The sites
marked with a star may mirror ftp.math.gatech.edu instead of the primary
Coordinator of the zsh development
My PGP public key is available from the above ftp sites (in pubring.pgp),
via finger -l hzoli@xxxxxxxxxx or from the key servers.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Messages sorted by: