[...]
bullwinkle% <!$<TAB>
correctly expands to
bullwinkle% <~/file
[...]
bullwinkle% less<!$
incorrectly expands to
bullwinkle% less~/.zlogin

Then, right before my next prompt, I get

Attempt to inungetc() at start of input.

The same happens every time I redirect to or from !$ (with or without
hitting <tab>) using a command and without a space after the redirection,
but it works fine in the null-command cases.  No fancy configure options
or anything like that, and it seems to be OS-independent (I use Solaris
2.5, SunOS 4.1.3_U1, and Linux 2.0.x).

Jeff
--
Jeff Blank        +   "I planted some bird seed.  A bird came
MTU IT-Telcom     -    up.  Now I don't know what to feed it."