Re: why "stty: TCGETS: Operation not supported on socket" ????

> 	Does anyone know why I would be getting the above error messages
> from zsh.

Zsh doesn't care what SHTTY is in the environment of.  How about this?
Unfortunately I have a vague memory there are recalcitrant shtty's
which don't operate on stdin, but this should catch most problems.

*** Src/exec.c~	Mon Nov 25 09:16:25 1996
--- Src/exec.c	Mon Nov 25 17:54:55 1996
***************
*** 255,261 ****
      /* If the parameter STTY is set in the command's environment, *
       * we first run the stty command with the value of this       *
       * parameter as it arguments.                                 */
!     if (!exargs && (s = zgetenv("STTY"))) {
  	char *t;

  	exargs = args;	/* this prevents infinite recursion */
--- 255,261 ----
      /* If the parameter STTY is set in the command's environment, *
       * we first run the stty command with the value of this       *
       * parameter as it arguments.                                 */
!     if (!exargs && (s = zgetenv("STTY")) && isatty(0)) {

--
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxx>       Tel: +49 33762 77366
WWW:  http://www.ifh.de/~pws/       Fax: +49 33762 77413