Compiling ZSH QuadFat for NeXTStep

I'm rather new at this still, but I'm perplexed by this.

I've been able to compile programs quadfat by adding this:

CFLAGS   =  -arch m68k -arch i386 -arch hppa -arch sparc

to the Makefile.  So I can ./configure on zsh.3.0.2, and the
Makefile has

CFLAGS   =  -Wall -Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2

so I change it to

CFLAGS   =  -arch m68k -arch i386 -arch hppa -arch sparc -Wall
-Wno-implicit -Wmissing-prototypes -O2

and set 'make' on its merry way

The make seems to have exited fine, (make  4238.55s user 324.42s
system 88% cpu 1:25:45.59 total) and the .o files are all QuadFat

builtin.o       hist.o          loop.o          subst.o
zle_main.o      zle_vi.o        compat.o        init.o          math.o
text.o          zle_misc.o      zle_word.o cond.o          input.o
mem.o           utils.o         zle_move.o exec.o          jobs.o
params.o        watch.o         zle_refresh.o glob.o          lex.o
parse.o         zle_bindings.o  zle_tricky.o hashtable.o
linklist.o      signals.o       zle_hist.o      zle_utils.o

but ZSH is not QuadFat, it is only m68k.

Does anyone know why this happened and what I can do to get ZSH to
compile QuadFat?

thanks!
TjL

--