Re: PATCH: $(LIBZSH) installation

Andrej Borsenkow wrote:
>                                                    Actually, if you just
>link against $(LIBZSH) $(LIBS), zsh will look for *this partucular name*
>(be it libzsh-$VERSION).so or for that matter libzsh.so.$(VERSION)), so
>you can just drop it in the standard place (it won't conflict with old
>version anyway).

Define `standard place'.  We already have a zsh-specific lib directory;
it would be nice to keep all zsh's files together, and we can't assume
that any particular directory to which we can write will be searched by
default for libraries.

>Standard way to fo it on SVR4 is to set LD_RUN_PATH:
>
>LD_RUN_PATH=$(libdir)/zsh $(LD) ...

OK, better use that instead of -R.  Are there any platforms that need
libzsh but don't accept LD_RUN_PATH?  Or should I just assume that there
are, and write another configure test?

>Hmmm ... When building a new (test) version I won't like to overrided my
>(login and so far favorite) shell. I would really prefer to install mods
>and lib (to avoid fiddling with LD_LIBRARY_PATH/module_path) and just
>start new shell from build dir.

Hmmm ... I don't see a problem with temporarily setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD for testing purposes.  Still, as there does seem
to be some use in installing the library without the binary, I suppose
we should have a separate target for it.  I'd still like install.bin to
install the library, so that "make install.bin" will install a *usable*
binary on all systems.

-zefram